Friday, September 15, 2006

time to kick the music back up

at the heart of it all for me is a simple desire to be able to communicate reliably with the people that challenge me, love me, hate me, never met me, or never thought about what i might say. now, this may seem to be an incredibly self-centered concept [i mean, i used "me" five times in that sentence] but i am convinced it is not. i feel incredibly convicted that there is a supple and elegant message that needs to be said in a gritty, genuine, peaceful, and painful way for each of our peers to hear.

and if we won't step up to say it, who will?

in proverbs, tc and i have always dwelled around one incredible verse [24:6] that says: "for waging war you need guidance, and for victory many advisers." That simple connection of phrases blows my mind. It's not a new thought, nor is it ground breaking. But it IS simply true. If there is no one speaking into our lives - no one fighting the fight next to us - we will fail, no matter how hard we work, struggle, tear, and grumble. that role of 'advisor' hits home in each of our hearts, but we so often feel fear in not knowing when is ok to act on it. when we are shy about speaking into our friends, we are leaving them hanging on the line - fending for themselves.

anyway, all of this has been just a way for me to say that each of us has a voice, but none sounds alike. i don't have a lot of self-confidence in this area, but i think my voice may be the way i can engage music to tell the tale. even though my actual voice [physically] is departing quickly, i'm amazed by how called i still feel to write, and write well.

so many great artists have used the medium of flying fingers to do this, and here's two that i love.

don't say i never gave you anything.
nickel creek will rock your world
and rhett miller can play, too

No comments: